A GoCheckMy site
GoCheckMyNews Every story, sourced. Every source, rated.
Verifiednewsgovernmentworld

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

President Trump announced Sunday via social media that he has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, citing high costs and characterizing North Korea as unthreatening during his tenure. The exercises, involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers over 11 days, were scheduled to begin this week.

President Trump announced Sunday via Truth Social that he has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, marking a significant shift in U.S. alliance posture in East Asia at a moment when North Korea is accelerating weapons tests and has deployed troops to Russia's war effort.

Trump instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to 'substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises,' per ABC News reporting. The order affects exercises scheduled to begin this week, per ABC News. Trump stated the exercises are 'costly' and 'send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile' to North Korea, according to BBC News.

The exercises are 11 days long and involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers, per BBC News. According to ABC News, the drills include joint operations in complex scenarios, live-fire exercises to test joint precision targeting and maneuver, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of prepositioned military equipment. The exercises are designed to beef up readiness against North Korean threats, per ABC News.

U.S. military leadership has previously characterized the drills as essential to the alliance. According to ABC News, the U.S. military has said the exercises 'reinforce the role of the alliance as the linchpin for regional peace and security' and reaffirm 'the ironclad commitment between the United States and the Republic of Korea to defend their homelands.' The drills were announced last week by U.S. and South Korean military leaders at a joint press conference, per BBC News.

Trump said it was 'too late to cancel' the exercises entirely, per BBC News. His rationale reflects a long-standing position: during his first term, Trump called the wargames 'provocative' and told reporters after his 2018 meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore that 'We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money, unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should,' per ABC News. Trump suspended the exercises entirely in 2018 during denuclearization negotiations with Kim, per BBC News. The exercises were again scaled back in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic, per BBC News.

Trump characterized North Korea as 'has been unthreatening and respectful' while Trump has been in the White House, per ABC News. He has met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un three times during his first term to discuss the country's nuclear program, most recently in 2019, per ABC News. Since returning to office, Trump has expressed interest in continuing discussions with North Korea, per ABC News. On Saturday, Trump posted a photo of himself standing next to Kim, writing that the two leaders get along great 'despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture,' per ABC News.

Trump's announcement also included criticism of South Korea. He stated: 'I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, No thanks!' per BBC News. The pointed remark seemed to hint at frustration with Seoul for declining to make direct military or logistical contributions to U.S. hostilities with Iran, per BBC News. Trump has expressed displeasure with other allies for their hesitance to get involved in the conflict, including Japan, France and the UK, per BBC News.

North Korea on Friday threatened unspecified stern steps against the U.S. and South Korea, describing their military drills as a 'rehearsal for an aggressive war,' per ABC News. Experts say North Korea has often used its rivals' drills as a pretext to ramp up testing activities to expand its weapons arsenals and promote public support for leader Kim Jong Un, per ABC News. The military joint press conference last week mentioned North Korea's deployment of troops to aid Russia's war against Ukraine, per BBC News. U.S. military spokesperson Ryan Donald said 'our training accounts for that threat,' referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield, per BBC News. North Korea has accelerated efforts to expand its nuclear and missile programmes since the collapse in 2019 of Kim's high-profile diplomacy with Trump during his first term, per BBC News.

The key fact

Trump instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to 'substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises' with South Korea, stating the drills are costly and send 'a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile' to North Korea.

The Bottom Line

The specifics of what 'substantially reduced' exercises will entail remain unclear from Trump's announcement, and South Korea has not yet officially responded to the order or Trump's Iran criticism. What to watch: whether Pentagon leadership implements reductions and what form the modified drills take, and how South Korea and regional allies react to the policy shift.

Every story, sourced. Every source, rated.

Charles Independence The GoCheckMyNews Desk Ranked, source-checked, and verified by the desk's independent review pass.

Sources

  1. BBC News center / high
  2. abcnews.com unrated
  3. PBS NewsHour center / high

Also reported by AP News, WSET, WSLS, KTUL. Independent coverage of the same development, found by search; not this story's sources.

Outlet ratings are the public AllSides and Media Bias/Fact Check charts' calls, not ours. How we rate sources.

GoCheckMyNews reports events. It does not editorialize and it does not advise. Nothing here is political advocacy, legal advice, or financial advice.